These are sites that we consider to be the very best. They have lots
of content, are updated frequently, are well indexed and attractively
designed. They are must see and bookmark sites.
Federal SHIPPING RESOURCES:
- Army Corps of Engineers (ACE):
Searchable site with basic information about the Corps, as well as news,
publications and many relevant links.
- Coast Guard (USCG): Great information,
rules, regulations and documents on marine issues, including marine
safety, environmental protection, and law enforcement. A very useful
- USCG Navigation Center: Information
about GPS, LORAN-C, DGPS and OMEGA.
- USCG National Response Center:
Useful information on reporting requirements and relevant laws by this
federal point of contact for reporting oil and chemical spills.
- National Pollution Funds
Center: General information on the Center, including claims filing,
Certificates of Financial Responsibility and links to related sites.
- Department of Commerce (DOC): Information
on business, trade, and the economy with links to a number of related
- Department of Justice (DOJ): Searchable
site of the US government's own law firm, including topical index, news,
information on the Freedom of Information Act and links to related sites.
- Department of State (DOS): Interesting
site, including information on US foreign policy and state department
services, including passports, visas, travel warnings, embassies and
consulates, and "Background Notes" on the world's nations.
- Department of Transportation (DOT):
Searchable site covering all DOT entities, including the Coast Guard,
the Maritime Administration and the Federal Aviation Administration.
- Environmental Protection Agency (EPA):
Searchable site, including EPA regulations and relevant US statutes.
- Federal Maritime Commission (FMC):
General information relating to the FMC, including publications, news
releases, strategic plans and, most notably, recent decisions and rules.
- Federal Trade Commission (FTC): Information
on consumer protection, business guidance, competition, the economy
and news and publications. Also includes rules, guides and advisory
- Immigration and Naturalization Service
(INS): INS forms, relevant laws, regulations and information on
the various activities of the INS.
- Maritime Administration (MARAD):
General news and information on MARAD and a good set of links relating
to US-flag carriers, American shipyards, American ports, maritime education
and maritime history.
- National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration
(NOAA): Great information relevant to the weather and the environment.
- National Transportation and Safety Board
(NTSB):Basic information about the NTSB and its activities, including
some of its more prominent investigations and a list of publications
regarding accident and investigation reports which can be ordered free
- National Weather Service: Data
on the current weather (primarily US), forecasts, extensive climate
data, including historical data, some for a fee.
- Marine Information:
Interactive and searchable site providing access to recent analysis
and forecast data for weather and marine information and archival information,
some for a fee. Click on "Real Time Buoy Observations" and "Interactive
Marine Observations" to access detailed, current marine information
collected by sea buoys around the world.
- Office of Administrative
Law Judges, Longshore Collection : Information on the Longshore
& Harbor Workers' Act.
- Cargo Port Links:
Information and links to over 130 ports throughout the world.
- Directory of Transportation
Resources: Searchable databases on a variety of subjects relevant
to the transportation industry.
- Fairplay: One of the largest collections of maritime resources
- Company Database: Searchable database providing basic information
on maritime-related companies.
- Ports Database: Searchable database providing basic port information.
- Ships Database: Searchable database providing basic ship information,
such as vessel type, deadweight, year of build and operator.
- Hieros Gamos - Transportation
Site: Well-organized site covering a very broad range of issues
falling under the categories of space, aviation and admiralty law.
- International Maritime Organization (IMO):
News, briefings, summaries of IMO conventions and full-text IMO papers
on a variety of relevant topics, as well as many links relating to the
maritime activities of member states.
- Internet Waterway: Good commercial site for water sports and
activities, including information on boating, sailing, fishing, travel
and related resources.
- Maritime Historical Virtual Archives: Interesting maritime miscellanea,
including images of historical ships and information on antiquarian
bookshops, museums, ship models, masting and rigging, the duties of officers
and crew and seamanship.
- Lloyd's Register: Searchable
site includes information on classification, ship, offshore and land-based
services, publications, products and news.
- NSnet: Very large collection of
commercial and non-commercial maritime links.
- Seaports Infopages:
Information and links to a number of sites regarding ports in Canada,
the United States, Mexico, Central America, the Caribbean and South
- Women's International Shipping and Trading Association:
Comprehensive descriptions of the history and current events of this
25-year old shipping organization which now has chapters in over 22
- The Shipping Network:
Developing site to include shipping news, financial reports and an annotated
set of maritime links.
- Internet Maritime Links:
Good set of maritime links.
- Directory of Transportation
Resources: Broad collection of materials and links related to transportation
- American Society of Naval Engineers: Information
on ASNE, including links to naval engineering sites.
- The Society of Naval Architects and Marine Engineers:
Information on SNAME and links to annotated maritime sites, some available
only to members.
- Maritime Links in the Net:
Eclectic collection of maritime links.
- Lloyd's of London Press Limited: Wide-ranging
site combines freely available and subscriber news and information relating
to the maritime and shipping industry, including law, insurance, energy,
casualties, commodities, ship schedules, employment opportunities and
- Maritime Law Brief: Contains
original, topical articles regarding maritime law in the US, UK, South
Africa and Greece, updated monthly. Nourse & Bowles, LLP is the
exclusive author of the US law section.
P & I CLUB SITES AND MARINE INSURERS
SHIPBUILDER AND STEVEDORE SITES
- American Shipyard, Newport, Rhode Island
- Atlantic Marine, Inc., Jacksonville, Florida
- Bender Shipbuilding & Repair, Mobile, Alabama
- Cascade General, Portland,
- Colombo Engineering Enterprises,
Colombo, Sri Lanka
- H.W. Ramberg, Inc., Brooklyn, New York
- Montreal Tankers, Montreal, Canada & Vietnam
- McDermott Shipbuilding, Morgan
City, Louisiana & Veracruz, Mexico
- Newport News Shipbuilding, Newport News,
- Norfolk Shipbuilding & Drydock Corporation,
- Novolog Marine Terminal, Bucks County, Pennsylvania
- Peterson Builders Inc., Ingleside, Texas
- Seaway Diving, Cambell River, B.C., Canada
- Testbank, Southampton, U.K.
General Shipping Sites